Lititz Youth Soccer Club Update: Spring 2020 Season
The Board is writing to provide an update regarding the spring 2020 season. In light of the recent developments relating to COVID-19, the Board has regrettably decided to cancel the intramural programs (u6 and u8 age groups) for the spring 2020 season (we have previously cancelled the u10 and above recreational season). The travel teams will not be participating in a league season, but we remain hopeful that these teams may be able to participate in tournaments beginning in June or later.
Governor Wolf has extended the stay-at-home order until May 8. The Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association (EPYSA), Lititz Youth Soccer Club’s (LSYC) sanctioning organization, has also extended its prohibition on soccer related activities until May 8. Because of these circumstances, the Board has made a judgement that playing is not likely to be possible on a reasonable timeline. The current stay-at-home order extends to May 8. Youth sports are not permitted under “Phase one” of the Federal Government’s guidelines for reopening. This means that even under the most ideal circumstances, play would likely not be permitted until after Memorial Day. Starting a season that late in the year is simply not feasible.
Moreover, aside from the timing issue, the Board believes this is a time to be responsible, cautious, and to focus on keeping our community safe by doing all we can to impede the spread of the virus. We also recognize that many families may not feel comfortable participating in a contact sport given the situation.
Like you, the Board is disappointed about the cancelation of the season, but the situation is unprecedented and completely out of our control. The Board held off on deciding as long as possible in the hope that circumstances would permit at least a truncated season. At this point, even that will not be possible (with the possible exception of travel tournaments over the summer).
We know that the issue of refunds will now be at the forefront. We will be announcing our refund policy in light of these unique circumstance soon. We respectfully ask that you wait until we announce the policy before reaching out to us with individual questions. We are all in this together, and we wish your families good health in this challenging time.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.